20 February 2019
Digitised Patient Care Pathways
Project: Delirium & Dementia assessment
- First of its kind in NHS England
- Reduced average length of hospital stay for patients with delirium from 73 days to 35 days (September 2017 and December 2017)
- Shortlisted for HSJ Patient Safety Award 2018
Gold standard assessment tool to increase screening and clinical decision support for delirium in the over 65’s, and to improve identification and treatment.
Will also trigger the right patient treatment and management packages and guide referral on to other services.
For patients this means:
- Faster diagnosis and quicker treatment
- Less distress
- Earlier discharge from hospital and less chance of readmission
- Receiving the most appropriate care, in the right place
- No unnecessary or inappropriate tests or medication
- Reduced risk of falls and harm whilst in hospital
- Reduced risk of developing dementia and deterioration of dementia
- Increased detection of undiagnosed dementia.